Thursday, March 20, 2014

Female Ordination and the Church: Another Way

I am one who has struggled mightily with female roles in the Church and in eternity, yet I have a VERY hard time being sympathetic to Ordain Women as a movement. Most individuals who have aligned themselves with that group, I sympathize and even empathize with. I have gone to the mattresses on many of those same issues many times. I am not known for my reticence in speaking up.

There is nothing new about Ordain Women. They have organized together in direct, open, and unapologetic opposition to the Church. I'm not going to pick apart their claims to faithfulness and belief in priesthood authority while publicly opposing that authority. There is really no need, it's obvious enough. I also have no doubt that there are well-meaning people caught up in the smoke and mirrors. But I personally don't have a very long rope when it comes to that brand of deception, conscious or not. I'm all too well acquainted with it.

I have worked with (and on) multiple priesthood leaders over my years, fighting to be allowed to do things my way. I have a long line of missionary leaders who can attest to my ability to be defiant. As I have aged, I've learned something from my battles (some of them quite loud and verbal.) The men of the priesthood aren't, as a group, suppressing anyone. And the leadership of the Church, especially the prophets and apostles, are humble and teachable men. Their primary concern is us, the sheep of the Savior. Their entire lives are spent thinking about, working for, and praying over our salvation. I admire that deeply. My fondest wish would be to once again be allowed to learn at their feet, personally. They know my Savior in a way of which I only dream.

It is deeply and personally offensive when people use aggressive political tactics against these men.

I am not one, however, to let my personal offense turn me into someone who lashes out at well-meaning individuals, particularly those who are acting out of pain or fear. And there are a great many of those souls aligning themselves with Ordain Women. It is with these women that I wish I could speak, free of the political overtones of activism. I wish I could just sit down and listen to them, share some of the things I have learned and done in my own struggles. Feast upon the word of Christ together, partake of the healing power of the Spirit as One before Him.

I wish I could share that Ordain Women is only one way, and not the most effective, to get the ear of the servants of God. True, it is probably the fastest way. But it is not potent to effect change.

As much as such feminists like to claim the credit for the recent changes being made in the Church, it is clear to me from Sister Beck's talks, for just one of many examples, that the groundwork to make changes in the Church was already being laid by faithful, prominent LDS women before Ordain Women was even established. The conversations were happening long before the media stunts. She entreated us to live up to our power and potential as daughters of God. She hinted at the vast stores of knowledge waiting for us to rise to meet them. I know, as surely as I can know anything, that there is endless power available to us as women. Female divine power. And the keys to unlocking that power lie in the Relief Society.

I never thought I'd say that.

I'm not a fan of Relief Society. I dislike crafting and the endless parade of meals and dull lessons. I have struggled almost as much with the Relief Society as I did Young Women's. But there is no doubt in my mind that the lack in the Relief Society is because we are not living up to its potential, not because we aren't ordained to offices in the Priesthood.

I can't give the details as to how and why. Not here and not now. But I can speak with every ounce of fervency in me that the answers desired by those who are campaigning for women's ordination are NOT found there. They are found in Relief Society. All the keys and powers you could possibly wish for are waiting for us. Yes, I have personally been slapped down by priesthood oversight in the past. That is a real, damaging problem. But the goal is not to meet the men on the priesthood ground. The goal is to train both men and women to work as a team, in perfect and diverse unity.

I wish I could say everything that is churning through my heart right now, but I can't.

All I can say is there is another way. Please seek it. The Lord is waiting for us.

11 comments :

  1. Well stated. As a High Priest myself, all you speak of concerning the Sisters and their struggles are Equally true for the Brothers and myself.

    "But there is no doubt in my mind that the lack in the Relief Society is because we are not living up to its potential, not because we aren't ordained to offices in the Priesthood."

    So it is in the High Priest Group and the Elder's quorum. So much do I believe this that I say the variable called "Priesthood" is not significant in the phenomena of discontent you describe. As you remark for the Sisters, I remark for all; what both of us have, for too many of us poorly secure. All I want is to be strengthened each Sunday from the HPG but it is as if that is not an objective. Now I am almost gleeful that my wife and I are joined in teaching the Sunbeams and can be excused from all of it in Sacrament. At the same time that I am discarded to work the oars below deck, I take little time missing the supposed privilege of frolicking on the the deck above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SilverRain, our past experiences, as well as our present situations in life may be very different, but, once again, you are able to beautifully express many of the same thoughts that I have about women and the priesthood. I particularly identify with your statements, " I know, as surely as I can know anything, that there is endless power available to us as women. Female divine power. And the keys to unlocking that power lie in the Relief Society," and, "But there is no doubt in my mind that the lack in the Relief Society is because we are not living up to its potential, not because we aren't ordained to offices in the Priesthood."
    I also loved the way you articulated how, as disciples of Christ working to build Zion in these latter-days, "the goal is not [for women] to meet the men on the priesthood ground. The goal is to train both men and women to work as a team, in perfect and diverse unity."
    I have been a part of that kind of team on many occasions in the past--on several different continents.
    Even now, as a Primary teacher in a newly formed ward in a fast growing stake in Texas, I am seeing men and women striving to serve together with humility, and in harmony. We are a few hundred imperfect people, but we are bent on helping one another in a spirit of love. If we stay on course, I anticipate a lot more joy on our journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, both, for your comments.

    We so often find ourselves judging our personal worth by the callings we hold. I think we can look within and beyond our callings to service in the Lord's Vineyard. Becoming open and pliant to the whispered word of God is the best . . . no, the ONLY way we can truly become instruments for good in His hands. The Priesthood is a vital and important way to serve in the Kingdom of God, but it is only one way. Just as nursery leaders are as vital as bishops, there is no measuring service by external factors. Only internally can we discover our value in His work. And only when we immerse ourselves in His work can we understand our unique value to Him.

    I envy you, Rosalie. Working as a team that way is largely a dream of mine, but I've never truly experienced it. Only glimpses. But it is what I want. Thank you for testifying to your experiences with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen. Beautifully put. I don't want the priesthood, I want the fullness of my womanly potential. I want to uplift priesthood holders in their endeavors, while being uplifted by them in my pursuits to attain my own potential. I feel like there are things we still need to learn and I am so excited to know what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sincere question: What do you consider to be more effective ways to reach the ears of male church leaders?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always found testifying to and counseling with them in the power of the Spirit to be quite effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you expound on this, please? How and when do you testify and counsel with them? In what situations are you able to have the ability to even give input? I'm asking more specific questions, because I agree with you that there are more effective ways, but I don't know what they are for being able to speak to the church leaders themselves and feel heard.

      Delete
    2. I have the ability to give input wherever I am. I'm plenty outspoken enough.

      As far as when and how, there is no pat answer for that. Only by trial and error, working hand-in-hand with the Spirit of God, can we learn best how to minister and teach.

      I find I'm much more likely to be listened to when I speak with the power of God.

      Delete
  7. I am concerned that through OW some women- especially young women- may be receiving the message that they cannot exercise Priesthood power without being ordained to Priesthood offices...

    when the General Authorities have been emphasizing just the opposite recently.

    https://www.lds.org/youth/learn/priesthood-preparation?lang=eng

    https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/power-in-the-priesthood?lang=eng

    ReplyDelete
  8. "The goal is to train both men and women to work as a team, in perfect and diverse unity."

    And equality through Christ.

    Thanks for this excellent post, SilverRain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to me a better goal is to do our best at what we are asked to do and remember that until such time as the prophet stops being God's one and only mouth piece for the Church, the other best thing you can do is set a good and example. Supporting the male leadership is difficult no doubt. Still, It is better to build the kingdom and keep our meetings peaceful and pleasant than it is to keep everything in an uproar.

      Delete

Unfortunately, I've found it necessary to screen comments. Unless your comment violates the commenting policy, it will show up as soon as I can approve it.

Popular Posts