Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Seeking the Pearl

Matthew 13: 45-46
"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls: who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it."


I have such a pearl. I was young when I found it, and though it has taken me years (and is still taking me years in many respects), I am selling all I have to attain it. But I never suspected that in seeking after this pearl, I would also have to in some respects, sell my efforts to attain it.

When I first promised to sell all I had for this pearl, I didn't think I had much. Since then, I have gained many things that are precious to me. Some of these treasures turn out to be poisons that I have to cleanse out of my heart—or allow to be cleansed. Some of these things are good, holy, praiseworthy things&mdash things which are nearly if not equally precious as that which I am selling them for. But I have dedicated my heart, and there is no turning back now.

Is there any pearl you would give up everything for? Even if "all you have" is not enough to buy it?

3 comments :

  1. Other than the gospel and my family I can't think of anything else that would be a pearl so worthy as to give my all for.

    It is interesting on this journey to lay hold upon the pearl what we must give up. Yes, as you said, things we never knew would be required. One of those for me is the opinion/praise of (wo)man. I'm coming to find more strength in the Lord to do what he wants me to do regardless of how it may appear to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you've read my post today. I certainly would sell all I have for that special pearl - and the six ancillary pearls we have as a result.

    Other than that, I would sacrifice just about everything else in my life for whatever I believed deeply was being asked of me by the Lord. I just don't know what those things will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments.

    Ray—I hope you and your wife treasure your relationship. To see her as a pearl is a blessing to you both, unequaled by almost any other.

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately, I've found it necessary to screen comments. Unless your comment violates the commenting policy, it will show up as soon as I can approve it.

Popular Posts