Tuesday, February 10, 2009

In the Quiet Heart

My heart has been anything but quiet, of late. Recent experiences in my life have broken most of my understanding of the world and my place in it. I have lived things I never thought I would live.

Through it all has come such an amazing outpouring of support and love, even from places I did not expect. I feel so very humbled and blessed that in my time of greatest vulnerability, loved ones have covered me with a cloak of safety. I will never be able to repay the sacrifices others have made on my behalf. Although one might add a price to these sacrifices, to me they are infinitely priceless.

I hope with all my heart that my experiences will lead me to greater sensitivity to others who may be suffering. There is so much pain in the world. I never knew how much hugs and time could alleviate some of that pain. My thoughts are scattered, my feelings full of confusion and fear, but I have found vast reason to be thankful.

Lobe den Herren, den mächtigen König der Ehren!
Meine geliebte Seele, das ist mein Begehren.
Kommet zu Hauf! Psalter und Harfe, wacht auf!
Lasset den Lobgesang hören!


Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation!
All ye who hear, now to His temple draw near;
Praise Him in glad adoration.

Lobe den Herren, der alles so herrlich regieret,
Der dich auf Flügeln des Adelers sicher geführet,
Der dich erhält, wie es dir selber gefällt.
Hast du nicht dieses verspüret?


Praise to the Lord, who over all things so wondrously reigneth,
Shelters thee under His wings, yea, so gently sustaineth!
Hast thou not seen how thy desires ever have been
Granted in what He ordaineth?

Lobe den Herren, der künstlich und fein dich bereitet,
Der dir Gesundheit verliehen, dich freundlich geleitet.
In wieviel Not hat dich der gnädige Gott
Über dir Flügel gebreitet.


Praise to the Lord, who hath fearfully, wondrously, made thee;
Health hath vouchsafed and, when heedlessly falling, hath stayed thee.
What need or grief ever hath failed of relief?
Wings of His mercy did shade thee.

Lobe den Herren, der deinen Stand sichtbar gesegnet,
Der aus dem Himmel mit Strömen der Liebe geregnet.
Denke daran, was der Allmächtige kann,
Der dir mit Liebe begegnet.


Praise to the Lord, who doth prosper thy work and defend thee;
Surely His goodness and mercy here daily attend thee.
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do,
If with His love He befriend thee.

Lobe den Herren; was in mir ist, lobe den Namen.
Alles was Odem hat, lobe mit Abrahams Samen.
Er ist dein Licht; Seele, vergiß es ja nicht;
Lob ihn und schließe mit Amen!


Praise to the Lord, O let all that is in me adore Him!
All that hath life and breath, come now with praises before Him.
Let the Amen sound from His people again,
Gladly for aye we adore Him.

Jo­ach­im Ne­an­der, original German, English comprised of corresponding verses, not translations

How grateful I am for the mercies of God, who sends His angels to bear us up in times of unbearable tribulation! How I would worship Him forever, for the sacrifice of His Son, which can heal even the most frightening wounds, and bridge the darkest chasms.

5 comments :

  1. These are also the thoughts of my heart, at a time when my life and heart are not quiet. Thank you for sharing. It helps me remember to be grateful for the mercies of a loving Father and Savior, despite my circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SilverRain,
    I appreciate your honesty and openness. I think often even when we are hurting we try to pretend that we aren't. It is easy to have the perception that everyone else has a perfect life, and that obviously is not the case. So your honesty is refreshing.

    Hang in there- your sure foundation will see you through....

    ReplyDelete
  3. SilverRain,

    I've was a little worried about you because you haven't posted for a while so I was happy to see you show up in my Google reader. Is it people like you that keep me going back to church week after week. I don't have the type of relationship with Christ that you write about but I don't doubt for a minute that your connection with the divine is real. Thank you for sharing such obviously personal experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you, friend. I'm so sorry for your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you are going through so much and saddened that you can't share more with us so we can help. There are many who support and love you. Many more who, if they knew all that you truly deal with, would rally round and lift you up. My heart goes out to you-

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately, I've found it necessary to screen comments. Unless your comment violates the commenting policy, it will show up as soon as I can approve it.

Popular Posts